Class 8 Science Chapter 14 Chemical Effects of Electric Current
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter 14 Chemical Effects Of Electric Current, (Science) exam are Students are taught thru NCERT books in some of state board and CBSE Schools. As the chapter involves an end, there is an exercise provided to assist students prepare for evaluation. Students need to clear up those exercises very well because the questions withinside the very last asked from those.
Sometimes, students get stuck withinside the exercises and are not able to clear up all of the questions. To assist students solve all of the questions and maintain their studies without a doubt, we have provided step by step NCERT Solutions for the students for all classes. These answers will similarly help students in scoring better marks with the assist of properly illustrated Solutions as a way to similarly assist the students and answering the questions right.
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter 14 Chemical Effects of Electric Current
Class 8 Science Chapter 14 Chemical Effects of Electric Current
1. Fill in the blanks.
(a) Most liquids that conduct electricity are solutions of , ______________ and ______________.
(b) The passage of an electric current through a solution causes ______________ effects.
(c) If you pass current through copper sulphate solution, copper gets deposited on the plate connected to the ___________terminal of the battery.
(d) The process of depositing a layer of any desired metal on another material by means of electricity is called _________.
(a) Most liquids that conduct electricity are solutions of acids, bases and salts.
(b) The passage of an electric current through a solution causes chemical effects.
(c) If you pass current through copper sulphate solution, copper gets deposited on the plate connected to the negative terminal of the battery.
(d) The process of depositing a layer of any desired metal on another material by means of electricity is called electroplating.
2. When the free ends of a tester are dipped into a solution, the magnetic needle shows deflection. Can you explain the reason?
The compass needle shows a deflection which concludes that current is flowing through the wire. The circuit becomes complete as the free ends of the tester are immersed inside the solution. So, the solution is conducting solution hence deflection is obtained in the compass needle.
3. Name three liquids, which when tested in the manner shown in Fig.14.9, may cause the magnetic needle to deflect.
II. Lemon juice
III. Vegetable oil
These liquids can be taken in a beaker to show the passage of electricity as they will show a deflection in the magnetic needle.
4. The bulb does not glow in the setup shown in Fig.14.10. List the possible reasons. Explain your answer.
The possibility of the bulb not glowing maybe because of the following reasons:
a. The liquid may be non-conducting. In this case, the circuit is incomplete and the current does not pass through the liquid.
b. Electric current may be weak for the circuit is made up of a material which is not a good conductor of electricity or there is insufficient energy in the battery to generate electricity.
5. A tester is used to check the conduction of electricity through two liquids, labelled A and B. It is found that the bulb of the tester glows brightly for liquid A while it glows very dimly for liquid B. You would conclude that
(i) liquid A is a better conductor than liquid B.
(ii) liquid B is a better conductor than liquid A.
(iii) both liquids are equally conducting.
(iv) conducting properties of liquid cannot be compared in this manner.
Liquid A is a better conductor than liquid B.
The conductivity of the solution determines the amount of current flowing through the solution. Greater the conductivity, greater will be the quantity current passing through the solution and lesser the conductivity, the quantity of current passing through will be correspondingly less. So, the conductivity of liquid A is more than the conductivity of liquid B.
6. Does pure water conduct electricity? If not, what can we do to make it conducting?
Pure water does not conduct electricity as it does not contain any type of salts. Adding, a small amount of Common salt (Sodium Chloride ie,.NaCl) will turn the water to a conducting medium.
7. In case of a fire, before the firemen use the water hoses, they shut off the main electrical supply for the area. Explain why they do this.
In case of a fire, before the firemen use the water hoses, they shut off the main electrical supply for the area because water sprayed from the hose might conduct electricity which may come in contact with the electrical appliances which increases the chance of electricity passing through wire. This may hurt the fireman.
8. A child staying in a coastal region tests the drinking water and also the seawater with his tester. He finds that the compass needle deflects more in the case of seawater. Can you explain the reason?
The amount of dissolved salts present in the seawater is more than that of the drinking water. So, the sea water will be a better conductor than the drinking water. That is the reason behind the increased deflection of the needle in the seawater when compared with the drinking water.
9. Is it safe for the electrician to carry out electrical repairs outdoors during heavy downpour? Explain.
No. It is not safe to repair electrical appliances outdoors during a heavy downpour. Rainwater is composed of a certain percentage of dissolved salts making it conductive. This may cause electric shocks and harm the electrician while working outdoors during heavy downpours.
10. Paheli had heard that rainwater is as good as distilled water. So she collected some rainwater in a clean glass tumbler and tested it using a tester. To her surprise she found that the compass needle showed deflection. What could be the reasons?
Rainwater is composed of a certain percentage of dissolved salts making it conductive. This makes the deflection in the compass.
11. Prepare a list of objects around you that are electroplated.
Chromium plating: This is done on exterior parts of automobiles in order to obtain a shiny appearance.
Gold Plating: Silver ornaments are coated with a thin layer of gold and the product are called Gold-plated Ornaments.
Zinc Plating: Iron used for Construction are coated with a Zinc layer in order to protect them from corrosion and rusting.
12. The process that you saw in Activity 14.7 is used for purification of copper. A thin plate of pure copper and a thick rod of impure copper are used as electrodes. Copper from impure rod is sought to be transfered to the thin copper plate. Which electrode should be attached to the positive terminal of the battery and why?
The thick rod of impure copper plate is to be attached to the positive terminal of the battery because when electric current is passed through the copper sulphate solution, it gets dissociated into copper and sulphate. The free copper, being positively charged, gets drawn to the negative terminal of the battery and gets deposited on it. On the other hand the loss of copper from the solution is regained from the impure copper rod which is attached to the positive terminal of the battery.
Benefits of NCERT Solutions for Class 8
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 contains extremely important points, and for each chapter, each concept has been simplified to make it easier to remember and increase your chances of achieving excellent exam results. Exam Preparation References Here are some tips on how these Solutions can help you prepare for the exam.
- This helps students solve many of the problems in each chapter and encourages them to make their concepts more meaningful.
- NCERT Solutions for Class 8 encourage you to update your knowledge and refine your concepts so that you can get good results in the exam.
- These NCERT Solutions For Class 8 are the best exam materials, allowing you to learn more about your week and your strengths. To get good results in the exam, it is important to overcome your weaknesses.
- Most of the questions in the exam are formulated in a similar way to NCERT textbooks. Therefore, students should review the Solutions in each chapter in order to better understand the topic.
- It is free of cost.
Tips & Strategies for Class 8 Exam Preparation
- Plan your course and syllabus and make time for revision
- Please refer to the NCERT Solutions available on the cbsestudyguru website to clarify your concepts every time you prepare for the exam.
- Use the cbsestudyguru learning app to start learning to successfully pass the exam. Provide complete teaching materials, including resolved and unresolved tasks.
- It is important to clear all your doubts before the exam with your teachers or Alex (an Al study Bot).
- When you read or study a chapter, write down algorithm formulas, theorems, etc., and review them quickly before the exam.
- Practice an ample number of question papers to make your concepts stronger.
- Take rest and a proper meal. Don’t stress too much.
Why opt for cbsestudyguru NCERT Solutions for Class 8 ?
- cbsestudyguru provide NCERT Solutions for all subjects at your fingertips.
- These Solutions are designed by subject matter experts and provide Solutions to every NCERT textbook questions.
- cbsestudyguru especially focuses on making learning interactive, effective and for all classes.
- We provide free NCERT Solutions for class 8 and all other classes.