Class 8 English It So Happened Chapter 9 The Comet – I
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 English It So Happened Chapter 9 The Comet – I, (English) exam are Students are taught thru NCERT books in some of state board and CBSE Schools. As the chapter involves an end, there is an exercise provided to assist students prepare for evaluation. Students need to clear up those exercises very well because the questions withinside the very last asked from those.
Sometimes, students get stuck withinside the exercises and are not able to clear up all of the questions. To assist students, solve all of the questions and maintain their studies without a doubt, we have provided step by step NCERT Solutions for the students for all classes. These answers will similarly help students in scoring better marks with the assist of properly illustrated Solutions as a way to similarly assist the students and answering the questions right.
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 English It So Happened Chapter 9 The Comet – I
Class 8 English It So Happened Chapter 9 The Comet – I
Comprehension Check (Page 77)
Why does Indrani Debi dislike Duttada’s “hobnobbing” with Dibya?
Duttada was very fond of star gazing and would enjoy spending a lot of time with his telescope “Dibya” trying to discover a comet in the night sky. Indrani Debi disliked Duttada’s “hobnobbing” with Dibya because she thought that the telescope was like a woman who had ensnared her husband and had grabbed all his attention.
She is complaining and smiling. Why is she smiling?
Indrani Debi had complaints about the wretched Dibya, Duttada’s telescope ever since. However, she would often smile it off as she knew how utterly oblivious her husband was of the practical problems of living. Although his doctor had advised him to take special precautions against the cold, he wouldn’t remember to put on a sweater even if it was lying on his bedside chair.
(i) What was Duttada’s secret ambition?
(ii) What did he do to achieve it?
(i) Duttada was an amateur astronomer whose secret ambition was to find a comet one fine day. To him, the telescope marked the fulfillment of the ambition of a lifetime. He was optimistic that the professionals with their pre-assigned programmes might miss such an insignificant thing as a comet as they would be exploring faint stars and nebulous galaxies.
(ii) Being an amateur astronomer, Duttada had always longed to have enough money to buy a good telescope and enough spare time to gaze the night sky with it. He fulfilled his desire after his retirement and bought an eight-inch long telescope which he called Dibya Chakshu or Divine Eye. Every night, Duttada would sit with Dibya and gaze at the star-studded sky with the hope of discovering a comet. This is because he was confident that the professionals might miss such an insignificant activity due to their pre-assigned space exploration programmes.
What is the difference between a planet and a comet, as given in the story?
According to the story, comets are new objects that come from the remote corners of the Solar System. Like planets, comets also orbit round the Sun but their orbits are highly eccentric. Hence, once in a while a comet comes closer to the Sun. A comet has a longish tail that is lit brilliantly by the sunlight and then suddenly it recedes into darkness not to be seen again for years or for centuries.
Why was Duttada hopeful that he would discover a new comet soon?
Duttada was hopeful that he would discover a new comet soon because he was aware that the professionals were extremely busy with their pre-assigned programmes while exploring faint stars and nebulous galaxies. In this process, they are mostly likely to miss such an insignificant thing as a comet since they might not expect to see it anyway. As a matter of fact, amateurs had often discovered new comets which the professionals had mostly missed.
Why does Duttada say — “I almost wish I had not discovered this comet.”?
While returning from one such ceremony Duttada muttered to himself in disgust, “I almost wish I had not discovered this comet.” This is because the discovery of a new comet by Duttada brought in unwelcome publicity to him. There were numerous receptions and functions to attend. He was an introvert person and all these publicity stunts were not of his liking.
Why is his wife unhappy about the discovery?
Duttada’s wife, Indrani Debi was unhappy about the discovery because she thought that comets bring ill-luck or cause unnatural calamities to Earth. Moreover, she was concerned that a good man like Duttada should not have been associated with the discovery of a comet.
Comprehension Check (Page 80)
How did Sir John get hold of James’ original manuscript?
James’ original manuscript was published in the paper Nature. Sir John got hold of it from Mr. Taylor who was the editor of Nature and was also his friend.
What is the important point the paper makes?
The important point that the paper makes is that Comet Dutta is likely to collide with planet Earth soon.
Why does Sir John say that James’ paper should not be published?
Sir John told that James’ paper should not be published because he was fearful that the dreadful news of the inevitable collision of the comet with Earth might cause a lot of panic around the world.
What do the two men finally decide to do?
The two men finally decide to organize an important secret conference of international experts to chalk out a plan to avert this impending calamity.
Benefits of NCERT Solutions for Class 8
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 contains extremely important points, and for each chapter, each concept has been simplified to make it easier to remember and increase your chances of achieving excellent exam results. Exam Preparation References Here are some tips on how these Solutions can help you prepare for the exam.
- This helps students solve many of the problems in each chapter and encourages them to make their concepts more meaningful.
- NCERT Solutions for Class 8 encourage you to update your knowledge and refine your concepts so that you can get good results in the exam.
- These NCERT Solutions For Class 8 are the best exam materials, allowing you to learn more about your week and your strengths. To get good results in the exam, it is important to overcome your weaknesses.
- Most of the questions in the exam are formulated in a similar way to NCERT textbooks. Therefore, students should review the Solutions in each chapter in order to better understand the topic.
- It is free of cost.
Tips & Strategies for Class 8 Exam Preparation
- Plan your course and syllabus and make time for revision
- Please refer to the NCERT Solutions available on the cbsestudyguru website to clarify your concepts every time you prepare for the exam.
- Use the cbsestudyguru learning app to start learning to successfully pass the exam. Provide complete teaching materials, including resolved and unresolved tasks.
- It is important to clear all your doubts before the exam with your teachers or Alex (an Al study Bot).
- When you read or study a chapter, write down algorithm formulas, theorems, etc., and review them quickly before the exam.
- Practice an ample number of question papers to make your concepts stronger.
- Take rest and a proper meal. Don’t stress too much.
Why opt for cbsestudyguru NCERT Solutions for Class 8 ?
- cbsestudyguru provide NCERT Solutions for all subjects at your fingertips.
- These Solutions are designed by subject matter experts and provide Solutions to every NCERT textbook questions.
- cbsestudyguru especially focuses on making learning interactive, effective and for all classes.
- We provide free NCERT Solutions for class 8 and all other classes.