Class 8 English (Honeydew) Chapter 9 The Great Stone Face-I
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 English (Honeydew) Chapter 9 The Great Stone Face-I, (English) exam are Students are taught thru NCERT books in some of state board and CBSE Schools. As the chapter involves an end, there is an exercise provided to assist students prepare for evaluation. Students need to clear up those exercises very well because the questions withinside the very last asked from those.
Sometimes, students get stuck withinside the exercises and are not able to clear up all of the questions. To assist students, solve all of the questions and maintain their studies without a doubt, we have provided step by step NCERT Solutions for the students for all classes. These answers will similarly help students in scoring better marks with the assist of properly illustrated Solutions as a way to similarly assist the students and answering the questions right.
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 English (Honeydew) Chapter 9 The Great Stone Face-I
Class 8 English (Honeydew) Chapter 9 The Great Stone Face-I
Comprehension Check (Page 125)
Write ‘True’ or ‘False’ against each of the following statements.
1. The Great Stone Face stood near where Ernest and his mother lived. ______
2. One would clearly distinguish the features of the Stone Face only from a distance. ______
3. Ernest loved his mother and helped her in her work. ______
4. Though not very rich, Gathergold was a skillful merchant. ______
5. Gathergold died in poverty and neglect. ______
6. The Great Stone Face seemed to suggest that Ernest should not fear the general. ______
1. The Great Stone Face stood near where Ernest and his mother lived. – False
2. One would clearly distinguish the features of the Stone Face only from a distance. – True
3. Ernest loved his mother and helped her in her work. – True
4. Though not very rich, Gathergold was a skillful merchant. – False
5. Gathergold died in poverty and neglect. – True
6. The Great Stone Face seemed to suggest that Ernest should not fear the general. – False
Working with the text (Page 126)
Answer the following questions.
(i) What was the Great Stone Face?
(ii) What did young Ernest wish when he gazed at it?
(i) The Great Stone Face was a work of nature. It was formed on the perpendicular side of a mountain by some gigantic rocks. These rocks were clustered together in such a position that when viewed from a certain distance, they resembled the features of a human face. However, the spectator lost the outline of the enormous face when he approached too close to the gigantic rock. He could see only a heap of enormous rocks that were piled one upon another. On the contrary, the Great Stone Face seemed positively to be alive when viewed from a distance. Most people dwelling in that place strongly believed that the valley owed much of its fertility to the gentle face that was continually smiling over it.
(ii) Whenever Ernest gazed at the Great Stone Face, he felt it was smiling to him. The young boy wished it could talk to him because he felt that if it looks so very kindly, then its voice must indeed be pleasant. He said that if ever he sees a man with a similar face, he would love him very much.
What was the story attributed to the Stone Face?
The story attributed to the Stone Face was that someday in future, a child would be born in the valley. He would be destined to become the greatest and noblest person of his time and that his face in manhood would bear an exact resemblance to the Great Stone Face.
What gave the people of the valley the idea that the prophecy was about to come true for the first time?
A rumour was doing the rounds throughout the valley that the great man who was supposed to bear a resemblance to the Great Stone Face had finally appeared. A young man named Gathergold had left the valley and settled at a distant seaport. He had grown to be a wealthy merchant by the time he grew old. He decided to return to his native valley and live his last few days where he had been born. It was believed that he had a close resemblance to the Great Stone Face and the prophecy was about to come true for the first time.
(i) Did Ernest see in Gathergold the likeness of the Stone Face?
(ii) Who did he confide in and how was he proved right?
(i) No, Ernest did not see the likeness of the Stone Face in Gathergold. He could not see the kindness or truthfulness in Gathergold’s face as it was missing in his unpleasant face due to his wrinkled shrewdness.
(ii) Ernest confided and poured out his heart to the Great Stone Face that Gathergold did not have the likeness of the Stone Face at all. By the time he died, his wealth and money had disappeared and he died in poverty and neglect.
(i) What made people believe General Blood-and-Thunder was their man?
(ii) Ernest compared the man’s face with the Stone Face. What did he conclude?
(i) General Blood-and-Thunder was another son of the valley who went to become a soldier and rose to the position of a famous Commander. He desperately longed to return to his valley. The inhabitants, old neighbours and friends in the valley felt that he bore the likeness of the Great Stone Face. This made people in the valley believe that General Blood-and-Thunder was their man who would fulfill the prophecy.
(ii) When Ernest compared the man’s face with the Stone Face, he could not find any similarity between them. His heart assured him that the General Blood-and-Thunder was not the right person for whom they were eagerly awaiting. From this, Ernest concluded that the greatest and noblest man of his time who would bear the resemblance of the Great Stone Face was yet to come.
Working with language (Page 126-127)
Look at the following words.
like – likeness
punctual – punctuality
The words on the left are adjectives and those on the right are their noun forms.
Write the noun forms of the following words by adding -ness or -ity to them appropriately. Check the spelling of the new words.
(i) lofty ______________ (vi) enormous ______________
(ii) able ______________ (vii) pleasant ______________
(iii) happy ______________ (viii) dense ______________
(iv) near ______________ (ix) great ______________
(v) noble ______________ (x) stable ______________
(i) lofty loftiness (vi) enormous enormity
(ii) able ability (vii) pleasant pleasantness
(iii) happy happiness (viii) dense density
(iv) near nearness (ix) great greatness
(v) noble nobility (x) stable stability
Add -ly to each of the following adjectives, then use them to fill in the blanks.
(i) Why didn’t you turn up at the meeting? We all were _______ waiting for you.
(ii) _________ write your name and address in capital letters.
(iii) I was _________ surprised to see him at the railway station. I thought he was not coming.
(iv) It is _________ believable that I am not responsible for this mess.
(v) He fell over the step and _________ broke his arm.
(i) Why didn’t you turn up at the meeting? We all were eagerly waiting for you.
(ii) Kindly write your name and address in capital letters.
(iii) I was pleasantly surprised to see him at the railway station. I thought he was not coming.
(iv) It is perfectly believable that I am not responsible for this mess.
(v) He fell over the step and nearly broke his arm.
Complete each sentence below using the appropriate forms of the verbs in brackets.
(i) I _________ (phone) you when I _________ (get) home from school.
(ii) Hurry up! Madam _________ (be) annoyed if we _________ (be) late.
(iii) If it _________ (rain) today, we _________ (not) go to the play.
(iv) When you _________ (see) Mandal again, you _________ (not/recognise) him. He is growing a beard.
(v) We are off today. We _________ (write) to you after we _________ (be) back.
(i) I shall phone you when I will get home from school.
(ii) Hurry up! Madam will be annoyed if we are late.
(iii) If it rains today, we shall not go to the play.
(iv) When you see Mandal again, you will not recognise him. He is growing a beard.
(v) We are off today. We shall write to you after we are back.
Benefits of NCERT Solutions for Class 8
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 contains extremely important points, and for each chapter, each concept has been simplified to make it easier to remember and increase your chances of achieving excellent exam results. Exam Preparation References Here are some tips on how these Solutions can help you prepare for the exam.
- This helps students solve many of the problems in each chapter and encourages them to make their concepts more meaningful.
- NCERT Solutions for Class 8 encourage you to update your knowledge and refine your concepts so that you can get good results in the exam.
- These NCERT Solutions For Class 8 are the best exam materials, allowing you to learn more about your week and your strengths. To get good results in the exam, it is important to overcome your weaknesses.
- Most of the questions in the exam are formulated in a similar way to NCERT textbooks. Therefore, students should review the Solutions in each chapter in order to better understand the topic.
- It is free of cost.
Tips & Strategies for Class 8 Exam Preparation
- Plan your course and syllabus and make time for revision
- Please refer to the NCERT Solutions available on the cbsestudyguru website to clarify your concepts every time you prepare for the exam.
- Use the cbsestudyguru learning app to start learning to successfully pass the exam. Provide complete teaching materials, including resolved and unresolved tasks.
- It is important to clear all your doubts before the exam with your teachers or Alex (an Al study Bot).
- When you read or study a chapter, write down algorithm formulas, theorems, etc., and review them quickly before the exam.
- Practice an ample number of question papers to make your concepts stronger.
- Take rest and a proper meal. Don’t stress too much.
Why opt for cbsestudyguru NCERT Solutions for Class 8 ?
- cbsestudyguru provide NCERT Solutions for all subjects at your fingertips.
- These Solutions are designed by subject matter experts and provide Solutions to every NCERT textbook questions.
- cbsestudyguru especially focuses on making learning interactive, effective and for all classes.
- We provide free NCERT Solutions for class 8 and all other classes.