Class 8 Science Chapter 12 Friction
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter 12 Friction, (Science) exam are Students are taught thru NCERT books in some of state board and CBSE Schools. As the chapter involves an end, there is an exercise provided to assist students prepare for evaluation. Students need to clear up those exercises very well because the questions withinside the very last asked from those.
Sometimes, students get stuck withinside the exercises and are not able to clear up all of the questions. To assist students solve all of the questions and maintain their studies without a doubt, we have provided step by step NCERT Solutions for the students for all classes. These answers will similarly help students in scoring better marks with the assist of properly illustrated Solutions as a way to similarly assist the students and answering the questions right.
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 Science Chapter 12 Friction
Class 8 Science Chapter 12 Friction
1. Fill in the blanks.
(a) Friction opposes the _____________ between the surfaces in contact with each other.
(b) Friction depends on the _____________ of surfaces.
(c) Friction produces __________.
(d) Sprinkling of powder on the carrom board ________ friction.
(e) Sliding friction is ___________ than the static friction.
(a) Friction opposes the motion between the surfaces in contact with each other.
(b) Friction depends on the nature of surfaces.
(c) Friction produces heat.
(d) Sprinkling of powder on the carrom board reduces friction.
(e) Sliding friction is lesser than the static friction.
2. Four children were asked to arrange forces due to rolling, static and sliding frictions in a decreasing order. Their arrangements are given below. Choose the correct arrangement.
(a) rolling, static, sliding
(b) rolling, sliding, static
(c) static, sliding, rolling
(d) sliding, static, rolling
Answer is (c) static, sliding, rolling
3. Alida runs her toy car on dry marble floor, wet marble floor, newspaper and towel spread on the floor. The force of friction acting on the car on different surfaces in increasing order will be
(a) wet marble floor, dry marble floor, newspaper and towel.
(b) newspaper, towel, dry marble floor, wet marble floor.
(c) towel, newspaper, dry marble floor, wet marble floor.
(d) wet marble floor, dry marble floor, towel, newspaper
Answer is (a) wet marble floor, dry marble floor, newspaper and towel.
4. Suppose your writing desk is tilted a little. A book kept on it starts sliding down. Show the direction of frictional force acting on it.
When book slides down on the desk, a frictional force acts between the book and the surface of the desk. The direction of the friction force on the book is opposite to the direction of its motion and acts in an upward direction. It is shown in the diagram below.
5. You spill a bucket of soapy water on a marble floor accidently. Would it make it easier or more difficult for you to walk on the floor? Why?
It is possible to walk on the floor because of the friction present between our feet and the ground. For walking, we push the ground in a backward direction with our feet. The force of friction pushes it in the forward direction and allows us to walk. The force of friction decreases between the ground and the feet when there is soapy water spilt on the floor. Hence, it becomes difficult to walk on the soapy floor.
6. Explain why sportsmen use shoes with spikes.
Sportsmen use shoes with spikes because of the better grip given by spikes while running. This is because the force of friction between the shoes and the ground increases with the help of spikes.
7. Iqbal has to push a lighter box and Seema has to push a similar heavier box on the same floor. Who will have to apply a larger force and why?
Due to the interlocking of the irregularities on the two surfaces in contact, the force of friction arises. On the floor when a heavy object is placed, the interlocking of irregularities on the surface of the box and floor become strong. This is because the two surfaces in contact are pressed harder. Hence, more force is required to overcome the interlocking. Thus, to push the heavier box, Seema has to apply greater force than Iqbal.
8. Explain why sliding friction is less than static friction
When irregularities present in the surfaces of two objects in contact get interlocked with each other, friction come into play. The time given in sliding for interlocking is very small. Thus, interlocking is not strong. Therefore, less force is required to overcome this interlocking. Due to this reason, sliding friction is less than static friction.
9. Give examples to show that friction is both a friend and a foe.
Advantages of the friction
a) Due to friction, we are able to walk.
b) We are able to write because of the friction between the tip of the pen and paper.
Disadvantages of friction
a) Because of friction, the tires and soles of shoes wear out.
b) Friction produces heat between different parts of the machines. This can damage the machines.
10. Explain why objects moving in fluids must have special shapes.
When a body moves through a fluid, it experiences an opposing force which tries to oppose its motion through the fluid. This opposing force is known as the drag force. This frictional force depends on the shape of the body. By giving the objects a special shape, the force of friction acting on it can be minimized. Hence, it becomes easier for a body to move through the fluid.
Benefits of NCERT Solutions for Class 8
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 contains extremely important points, and for each chapter, each concept has been simplified to make it easier to remember and increase your chances of achieving excellent exam results. Exam Preparation References Here are some tips on how these Solutions can help you prepare for the exam.
- This helps students solve many of the problems in each chapter and encourages them to make their concepts more meaningful.
- NCERT Solutions for Class 8 encourage you to update your knowledge and refine your concepts so that you can get good results in the exam.
- These NCERT Solutions For Class 8 are the best exam materials, allowing you to learn more about your week and your strengths. To get good results in the exam, it is important to overcome your weaknesses.
- Most of the questions in the exam are formulated in a similar way to NCERT textbooks. Therefore, students should review the Solutions in each chapter in order to better understand the topic.
- It is free of cost.
Tips & Strategies for Class 8 Exam Preparation
- Plan your course and syllabus and make time for revision
- Please refer to the NCERT Solutions available on the cbsestudyguru website to clarify your concepts every time you prepare for the exam.
- Use the cbsestudyguru learning app to start learning to successfully pass the exam. Provide complete teaching materials, including resolved and unresolved tasks.
- It is important to clear all your doubts before the exam with your teachers or Alex (an Al study Bot).
- When you read or study a chapter, write down algorithm formulas, theorems, etc., and review them quickly before the exam.
- Practice an ample number of question papers to make your concepts stronger.
- Take rest and a proper meal. Don’t stress too much.
Why opt for cbsestudyguru NCERT Solutions for Class 8 ?
- cbsestudyguru provide NCERT Solutions for all subjects at your fingertips.
- These Solutions are designed by subject matter experts and provide Solutions to every NCERT textbook questions.
- cbsestudyguru especially focuses on making learning interactive, effective and for all classes.
- We provide free NCERT Solutions for class 8 and all other classes.