Class 8 English It So Happened Chapter 7 The Open Window
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 English It So Happened Chapter 7 The Open Window, (English) exam are Students are taught thru NCERT books in some of state board and CBSE Schools. As the chapter involves an end, there is an exercise provided to assist students prepare for evaluation. Students need to clear up those exercises very well because the questions withinside the very last asked from those.
Sometimes, students get stuck withinside the exercises and are not able to clear up all of the questions. To assist students, solve all of the questions and maintain their studies without a doubt, we have provided step by step NCERT Solutions for the students for all classes. These answers will similarly help students in scoring better marks with the assist of properly illustrated Solutions as a way to similarly assist the students and answering the questions right.
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 English It So Happened Chapter 7 The Open Window
Class 8 English It So Happened Chapter 7 The Open Window
Comprehension Check (Page 57)
Why had Framton Nuttel come to the “rural retreat”?
Mr. Framton Nuttel was suffering from a nerve disorder and was worried about his health condition. His doctor recommended him to take a break from his city life. Hence, he had come to the “rural retreat” as a measure to undergo treatment for his nerve problem in the peaceful environment of the countryside.
Why had his sister given him letters of introduction to people living there?
Nuttel did not know people in the countryside. Hence, his sister gave him letters of introduction to people living there so that he would not feel lonely and isolated while he visited the countryside for his nerve ailment treatment. She was aware that he would speak less and his nerve disorder would get worse from moping. One among of those letters of introduction was of Mrs. Sappleton.
What had happened in the Sappleton family as narrated by the niece?
The niece told Mr. Nuttel that around three years ago, Mrs. Sappleton’s husband and her two young brothers went off for their day’s shooting. They never returned. While they were crossing the moor to their favourite shooting ground, all three of them were engulfed in a treacherous piece of bog. It was a dreadful wet summer and even the places that were once safe in other years suddenly gave way without any warning. However, their bodies were never recovered.
Comprehension Check (Page 60)
What did Mrs. Sappleton say about the open window?
When Mrs. Sappleton met Mr. Nuttel, she said that husband and her two young brothers would enter the house through the open window. Hence, she kept it open till it was dark and hoped that Mr. Nuttel had no problem in keeping the window open.
The horror on the girl’s face made Framton swing around in his seat. What did he see?
When Framton turned around his seat after seeing the horror on the girl’s face, he noticed a silhouette of three men with guns and a dog in the midst of evening light. Then there was a hoarse young voice that called out to the dog. Seeing this, Nuttel agreed to the description given by Vera and realized it was indeed right.
Comprehension Check (Page 61)
Why did Framton rush out wildly?
Vera told Mr. Nuttel that her aunt, Mrs. Sappleton’s husband and her two young brothers were missing for three years. When Framton saw a silhouette of three men with guns and a dog in the midst of evening light, he thought these were their ghosts and he rushed out wildly in fear.
What was the girl’s explanation for his lightning exit?
The girl explained that Framton made a lighting exit because of the spaniel dog. She mentioned that Nuttel told her that he had a horror of dogs. He was once hunted into a cemetery somewhere on the banks of the Ganges by a pack of dogs, and had to spend the night in a newly dug grave with the creatures snarling and grinning and foaming just above him. Hence, that time when he heard the spaniel bark outside, he left the place in lightning speed.
Exercise (Page 61)
Discuss in small groups.
Is this a mystery story? Give a reason for your answer.
While explaining the mystery of the big open French window, Mrs. Sappleton’s niece created an imaginative story with a mysterious backdrop. Later, when the three men with guns arrive with a dog, it made Framton believe as though he had seen ghosts and he rushed out of the house wildly in fear. Hence, we can say that the story “The Open Window” contains various elements of a mystery.
You are familiar with the ‘irony’ of the situation in a story. (Remember the cop and the Anthem in Class VII Supplementary Reader!) Which situations in ‘The Open Window’ are good examples of the use of irony?
Irony refers to a situation in which something which was supposed to have a particular result, on the contrary, it has an opposite or different result. In the story, ‘The Open Window’, Mr. Framton Nuttel goes to visit the countryside with the hope to find a cure for his nerve ailment. But when Mrs. Sappleton’s niece plays a prank on him, he could not deal with fear and makes a lightning exit from that place. He mistakes Mrs. Sappleton’s husband and her two young brothers to be ghosts and leaves the house without bidding a goodbye to her.
Which phrases/sentences in the text do you find difficult to understand? Select a few and guess the meaning of each. Rewrite a simple paraphrase of each.
Masculine habitation – This implies that some male persons used to live in the room.
Bertie, why do you bound – The word bound means to jump or leap. But in the story, it refers to Ronnie, Mrs. Sappleton’s youngest brother who would often say this to scare her.
Came into the nice division – This refers to nice people.
Benefits of NCERT Solutions for Class 8
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 contains extremely important points, and for each chapter, each concept has been simplified to make it easier to remember and increase your chances of achieving excellent exam results. Exam Preparation References Here are some tips on how these Solutions can help you prepare for the exam.
- This helps students solve many of the problems in each chapter and encourages them to make their concepts more meaningful.
- NCERT Solutions for Class 8 encourage you to update your knowledge and refine your concepts so that you can get good results in the exam.
- These NCERT Solutions For Class 8 are the best exam materials, allowing you to learn more about your week and your strengths. To get good results in the exam, it is important to overcome your weaknesses.
- Most of the questions in the exam are formulated in a similar way to NCERT textbooks. Therefore, students should review the Solutions in each chapter in order to better understand the topic.
- It is free of cost.
Tips & Strategies for Class 8 Exam Preparation
- Plan your course and syllabus and make time for revision
- Please refer to the NCERT Solutions available on the cbsestudyguru website to clarify your concepts every time you prepare for the exam.
- Use the cbsestudyguru learning app to start learning to successfully pass the exam. Provide complete teaching materials, including resolved and unresolved tasks.
- It is important to clear all your doubts before the exam with your teachers or Alex (an Al study Bot).
- When you read or study a chapter, write down algorithm formulas, theorems, etc., and review them quickly before the exam.
- Practice an ample number of question papers to make your concepts stronger.
- Take rest and a proper meal. Don’t stress too much.
Why opt for cbsestudyguru NCERT Solutions for Class 8 ?
- cbsestudyguru provide NCERT Solutions for all subjects at your fingertips.
- These Solutions are designed by subject matter experts and provide Solutions to every NCERT textbook questions.
- cbsestudyguru especially focuses on making learning interactive, effective and for all classes.
- We provide free NCERT Solutions for class 8 and all other classes.