Class 8 English Honeydew Chapter 3 Poem Macavity The Mystery Cat
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 English Honeydew Chapter 3 Poem Macavity The Mystery Cat, (English) exam are Students are taught thru NCERT books in some of state board and CBSE Schools. As the chapter involves an end, there is an exercise provided to assist students prepare for evaluation. Students need to clear up those exercises very well because the questions withinside the very last asked from those.
Sometimes, students get stuck withinside the exercises and are not able to clear up all of the questions. To assist students, solve all of the questions and maintain their studies without a doubt, we have provided step by step NCERT Solutions for the students for all classes. These answers will similarly help students in scoring better marks with the assist of properly illustrated Solutions as a way to similarly assist the students and answering the questions right.
NCERT Solutions For Class 8 English Honeydew Chapter 3 Poem Macavity: The Mystery Cat
Class 8 English Honeydew Chapter 3 Poem Macavity: The Mystery Cat
Working with the poem (Page 51-52)
Read the first stanza and think.
(i) Is Macavity a cat really?
(ii) If not, who can Macavity be?
(i) Macavity, a mysterious character is not a cat in reality.
(ii) Macavity is a fictional character which is a figment of the poet’s imagination who believes that the cat’s actions resemble that of a law-defying criminal. He is a trickster who never gets caught by the Scotland Yard Police.
Complete the following sentences.
(i) A master criminal is one who ___________________
(ii) The Scotland Yard is baffled because ___________________
(iii) ___________________ because Macavity moves much faster than them.
(i) A master criminal is one whodefies the law, evades arrest and escapes from the clutches of policemen.
(ii) The Scotland Yard is baffled becausethey are unable to catch Macavity red-handed as he escapes from the crime scene even before they arrive.
(iii) The Flying Squad is in despairbecause Macavity moves much faster than them.
“A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through”. (Jules Verne)
Which law is Macavity breaking in the light of the comment above?
Macavity is breaking the law of gravity in light of the given statement. This implies that it is difficult to trace the mysterious cat, Macavity because he commits the crime and disappears from the scene even before the police arrives.
Read stanza 3, and then, describe Macavity in two or three sentences of your own.
Macavity is a mysterious ginger cat who is very tall and thin with sunken eyes. His brow is deeply lined with thought and he has a highly domed head. He has a dusty coat and his whiskers are uncombed due to negligence. He sways his head from side to side and makes snake-like movements. Although others might think that he is half asleep but he is always wide awake.
Say ‘False’ or ‘True’ for each of the following statements.
(i) Macavity is not an ordinary cat.
(ii) Macavity cannot do what a fakir can easily do.
(iii) Macavity has supernatural powers.
(iv) Macavity is well-dressed, smart and bright.
(v) Macavity is a spy, a trickster and a criminal, all rolled in one.
(i) Macavity is not an ordinary cat. ->True
(ii) Macavity cannot do what a fakir can easily do. ->False
(iii) Macavity has supernatural powers. ->True
(iv) Macavity is well-dressed, smart and bright. ->False
(v) Macavity is a spy, a trickster and a criminal, all rolled in one. ->True
Having read the poem, try to guess whether the poet is fond of cats. If so, why does he call Macavity a fiend and monster?
Yes, it seems the poet is very fond of cats and admires Macavity when he defies the law and manages to escape from the clutches of police every time. He calls Macavity a ‘fiend’ and a ‘monster’ as he wants to portray an evil side of the cat. He uses these terms to describe the negative activities of a criminal character who is very quick in movement and evades arrest every time and vanishes in thin air before the police arrives. The mysterious and devil-like eyes might have influenced the poet to create an evil character in the form of a cat, who is corrupt and wicked by nature.
Has the poet used exaggeration for special effect? Find a few examples of it and read those lines aloud.
Yes, the poet has used many exaggerations in the poem, such as Macavity’s defiance of gravitational law and has used terms like ‘a fiend in feline shape and a monster of depravity’ to highlight the mysterious aura surrounding the cat. He often mentions in the poem that the Scotland Yard and the Flying Squad are in utter despair due to their inability to catch the criminal as he escapes the crime scene even before they arrive. All these exaggerations indicate the monstrous and mysterious nature of Macavity, the evil criminal.
A few examples of these exaggerations from the poem are listed below:
- ‘He’s called the Hidden Paw.’
- ‘He’s the bafflement of Scotland Yard, the Flying Squad’s despair.’
- ‘He’s broken every human law, he breaks the law of gravity.’
- ‘His powers of levitation would make a fakir stare.’
- ‘For he’s a fiend in feline shape, a monster of depravity.’
Benefits of NCERT Solutions for Class 8
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 contains extremely important points, and for each chapter, each concept has been simplified to make it easier to remember and increase your chances of achieving excellent exam results. Exam Preparation References Here are some tips on how these Solutions can help you prepare for the exam.
- This helps students solve many of the problems in each chapter and encourages them to make their concepts more meaningful.
- NCERT Solutions for Class 8 encourage you to update your knowledge and refine your concepts so that you can get good results in the exam.
- These NCERT Solutions For Class 8 are the best exam materials, allowing you to learn more about your week and your strengths. To get good results in the exam, it is important to overcome your weaknesses.
- Most of the questions in the exam are formulated in a similar way to NCERT textbooks. Therefore, students should review the Solutions in each chapter in order to better understand the topic.
- It is free of cost.
Tips & Strategies for Class 8 Exam Preparation
- Plan your course and syllabus and make time for revision
- Please refer to the NCERT Solutions available on thecbsestudyguruwebsite to clarify your concepts every time you prepare for the exam.
- Use thecbsestudygurulearning app to start learning to successfully pass the exam. Provide complete teaching materials, including resolved and unresolved tasks.
- It is important to clear all your doubts before the exam with your teachers or Alex (an Al study Bot).
- When you read or study a chapter, write down algorithm formulas, theorems, etc., and review them quickly before the exam.
- Practice an ample number of question papers to make your concepts stronger.
- Take rest and a proper meal. Don’t stress too much.
Why opt for cbsestudyguru NCERT Solutions for Class 8 ?
- cbsestudyguruprovide NCERT Solutions for all subjects at your fingertips.
- These Solutions are designed by subject matter experts and provide Solutions to every NCERT textbook questions.
- cbsestudyguruespecially focuses on making learning interactive, effective and for all classes.
- We provide free NCERT Solutions for class 8 and all other classes.